Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, September 14, 2009

Durham Central Park and Historic Warehouse District

Photobucket

The photographs in this post will be a mixture from last week and the fall of 2008. The shot above was taken last week when I decided to walk beyond the tree line where I park when I'm working on site in Durham, NC, U.S.

Photobucket

Durham Central Park is in the middle of the Historic Warehouse District. The area used to consist largely of Tobacco Warehouses. After big tobacco left town the warehouses were renovated for arts centers, businesses and other mixed uses. In 2001 the Durham Central Park was established and it includes Grace Garden (shot above).

Photobucket

The shot above was taken last fall of the pavilion in the park which is used for a Saturday morning farmer's market as well as for arts shows and performances. My other blog has a post including a shot of the same sculpture taken last week, showing how it's covered in tall seedheads from flowers at the moment.

Photobucket

This time of year trees surround the park and garden, giving a lot of privacy from the buildings once you are inside the garden.

Photobucket

I like the fanciful benches like the one above and also the one below. In the distance from the bench below you can see the BP building which was built in 1928 and expanded in the 1950s. The BP company (produced headache powder) used the building as a factory. In 1980 the educational testing company I work for purchased the building and renovated it for offices.

Photobucket

The next shot was taken in the fall of last year from the parking lot where I park and has a better shot of the BP Building.

Photobucket

Beyond the part of the building you can see above is a breezeway leading to what used to be the Brodie Duke Warehouse which was built in 1878 to store tobacco. In 2000, the company I work for purchased the old warehouse and renovated it to house offices for the expanding company.

Photobucket

The shot above is one of the historic warehouses now converted for other uses, which is next to the one my employer renovated. I've never photographed the Brodie Duke one, probably because when I work on site I work in the BP building. However most of these historic warehouses in this part of Durham, pretty much look alike from the outside. The reason I happened to shoot the one above is because I was sitting at a red light.

Photobucket

It's pleasant having the park and garden to wander around, although oddly I never realized that there was so much to the garden before. Probably because when it's in bloom the trees hide it from view and when the trees drop their leaves there isn't as much to see. The last shot is one I took last fall and I was drawn in by the sculpture and Japanese Maple but none of the flowers were blooming, like some are now. It's the end of the season and quite a few have gone to seed but still a lot of color left in the garden.

Photobucket

I don't work in Durham that often but when I do I like to take advantage of the different scenery for photo ops. I love being able to work from my home computer most of the time but it is nice to change my view from time to time. Please click here for the home of That's My World Tuesday. my world logo

32 comments:

Ayie said...

the park looks so green and bushy...i prefer if the plants are trimmed nicely =)

i love those colorful trees, very nice to see and that old structure has a great facade =)

happy monday!

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful place to visit and gets one's batteries recharged and it's in the middle of a busy city too. Are those trees shot recently? I mean the fall leaves, have your leaves started turning yet?

Have a great week.

Carver said...

Thanks for visiting and to answer a question, the fall colors on the trees are shots from early November 2008. The dogwood trees are starting to change but most of the trees won't be getting their autumn colors here for another month or so.

Daryl said...

What a lovely escape from the city . right in the city! I like parks ... they give us city folk a taste of the country without having to travel!

Snap said...

I love parks and the sculpture/park benches in this one are great! Even the trellis has a pattern. Lovely! Thanks for taking us on a walk around the park.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I too noticed those autumn colours coming too life. Beautifully structured foliage.

Is it me but where is the page this week for my world?

janice said...

Those benches are so cool!

Thanks for sharing, enjoy your week.

maryt/theteach said...

How lovely, Carver! Were a lot of jobs lost when Big tobacco left town? You're lucky to have such a nice place to enjoy in the Fall. :)

Dorothy said...

Beautiful series! This gets me in the mood for Fall.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Oh, I would love to sit and write in this garden!! Beautiful!!

Sylvia K said...

What a wonderful park! Definitely a place to recharge one's batteries! Hard to believe it's in the middle of town! Wonderful! And your photos are marvelous!

Have a great week, Carver!

Sylvia

Susie of Arabia said...

It's a terrific park. And I really love the adorable benches you showed us - they're so whimsical. Wish we had a park like this near me... (sigh)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carver: What a nice walk with all the interesting art.

Barbara said...

What a good idea to turn the space into a park, a lovely place to visit on a working day.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Oh my so unique and lovely as it is lush -- good good pictures of the green

Ebie said...

That's a nice looking daisy bench. I can see the colors changing. What a nice sight.

Ebie's World

Lantaw said...

I would love to spend one lazy afternoon in that park

Rajesh said...

Beautiful garden with lot of plantation. Looks like requires some work needs to be done to give it some more shape.

lissa said...

looks like a peaceful place to take some time out

Barb said...

I like taking this garden and architectural tour with you. The trees and flowers are lovely. I really enjoy the benches. Glad you ventured beyond the trees, Carver!

magiceye said...

what a wonderful world!

Wolynski said...

Beautiful park. Very whimsical benches, but they don't look comfortable. Lovely photos.
What is it with all these electrical wires? They're everywhere in Vegas - don't people run electricity below ground anymore?

Anya said...

Parks looking always so peaceful :)
Amazing shots all !!

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely park! I love all the sculptures and the bench is really cool.

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely park! I love all the sculptures and the bench is really cool.

Hazel said...

I love the arch and the pretty benches. Isn't it nice to have a lot of nature in an urban area?

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello dear Carver,
Adorable park and that bench is really cute and fancy!I loved all of your shots, a beautiful day!
Thanks for sharing
Léia :)

Gaelyn said...

What a beautiful park and so nice to see the old buildings. Like the sculptures also.

Janie said...

That's a beautiful park. I really like the fanciful benches, too. Great photos, and thanks for the tour.

SandyCarlson said...

That looks like a wonderful place to sop a while.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://agasylafes.virtue.nu/hazysy.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://inesavyn.servetown.com/onomak.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019