Translate

Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

ABC Wednesday: M is for mile marker


They have new mile markers on some of the greenway paths in my city.

1abcwedmmDSCN9888
Aesthetically I prefer the old ones which were all unfinished wood like the trail marker below.
abcwedmmIMG_3731
However, I suspect the new ones may last longer.
1abcwedmmDSCN9877
There are still a lot of unfinished wood ones which serve a variety of purposes besides marking miles.
abcwedIMG_7869
One problem with the mile markers is there are so many different starting places for the same trails that I can't ever remember what the starting point for the mileage is.
abcwedmmIMG_7870
At Shelley Lake some people park at the art center and take the trail above down to the lake.
1abcwedmmDSCN9804
Others parking at the same place choose to take the steps above down to the lake.
1abcwedmmDSCN9826
Some people park at the dam and walk up to the lake as shown above. The shot below is another trail people take from the opposite side of the lake to the marked trail. I take the one below when walking from my house which is nearby.
1abcwedDSCN9631
My point is it doesn't matter what style marker is used, if you don't know the starting point for the mileage, you don't know how far you've walked. Click for the home of ABC Wednesday.

24 comments:

Judy said...

I would love to hike that.

Karen said...

Beautiful shots of a a lovely place. We have the old style markers on most of our paths.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely photos for a lovely place ~thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor) linked with OWT ^_^

Nanka said...

Beautiful place and like that you have to walk up to go down :) Anyways it does keep one up and about!! Your posts are always interesting!!

MaR said...

Beautiful place for a hike! I love to go for a walk, I only look at the watch :)

M is for...

anthonynorth said...

What a beautiful looking place.

EG CameraGirl said...

Yep, I can understand your confusion, Carver! A pedometer midht be a better way to calculate how far you've hiked. ;)

Kim, USA said...

A great way to enjoy the last sunny season. The trees are gorgeous and trail is awesome. I like the wood marker though and good thing nobody is vandalizing them.

ABC Wed-M

Roger Owen Green said...

that first step will get us going, mile after mile
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gigi Ann said...

Walking on that nature trail, who cares if it's one mile or four. It looks like a lovely place to walk.

Yue said...

your pictures are beautiful and nice place too.

photowannabe said...

You certainly have a point there. To mark or not to mark??
Beautiful place to hike anyway and I love the fall colors just starting to show.

Kay L. Davies said...

You're right, it would confuse me all to bits.
Beautiful photos, however!

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Hazel said...

I'm useless at mileage thingies. But I would love to walk this trail. Beautiful, charming pictures!

Hildred said...

Well, you might not know how far you have come, but what a delightful time you would have on these lovely trails.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Such a beautiful trail to go for a walk.

Would you like to read some Loving Messages that Melts My Heart? Please come on over.

Gattina said...

That's a beautiful walk through there. I also prefer the old markers, they fit better to wood than these metal things !
Gattina
ABC Team

Indrani said...

Great place to make a trip. and a unique theme for 'M'. :)

Meryl said...

The trails ALL look so inviting -especially now with the fall foliage. I live in New York City, and while Central Park DOES have lovely trail, they fade in comparison...

Cezar and Léia said...

So blessed nature in your place and you show wonderful paths in these pictures!
Léia

Gillian Olson said...

It looks like a great walk, thanks for taking us along.

dianasfaria.com said...

this looks like a beautiful place to go hiking for miles & miles!
& I like the old ones better too.

Wanda said...

What great trails... I like the old rustic markers too. Would love to hike some of those lovely trails.

Cool fence too.

Tumblewords: said...

Gorgeous hiking photos. I guess when you're tired, you've hiked 'that' far. :)

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019