Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, October 24, 2011

That's My World Tuesday: Boone and Blowing Rock NC


My mother was from Boone, North Carolina and growing up we always spent a lot of time visiting my grandmother there.

ourworldtDSCN0137
My mother died when she was 65 in 1990 and about 13 years after that my grandmother died (she lived to be around 103 as I recall).
ourworldtDSCN0138
The Boone/Blowing Rock part of NC will always seem like a second home to me.
ourworldDSCN0142
Bill and I were there last week enjoying the fall foliage.
ourworldtDSCN0146
In central NC where I live, most of our trees haven't changed colors yet.
ourworldDSCN0162
It always feels like I'm extending fall when I go to the mountains during peak color.
ourworldDSCN0173
Then I come home and only the dogwoods and a few other trees have changed.
ourworldDSCN0228
Every day though I'm seeing more trees beginning to get some color.
ourworldDSCN0235
All of the shots in this post were taken last week in the NC mountains.
ourworldDSCN0252
I took so many pictures that my blog can look like a very long autumn.
ourworldDSCN0303
I started some time ago with the dogwoods in color at home, since they've already changed here.
ourworldDSCN0307
Since I got home from the mountains I've been posting shots from that trip.
ourworldDSCN0312
By the time I am done posting vacation shots we'll have more and more color here.
ourworldDSCN0325
I like all the seasons but I think fall and winter are probably my favorites, although I'm usually ready for spring.
ourworldDSCN0363
I wouldn't mind having a shorter summer than we usually have.
ourworldDSCN0385
We had an unusually hot summer this year although it did start cooling off earlier than it sometimes does.
ourworldDSCN0395
I didn't get any good shots of the protected parts inside of rock overhangs.
ourworldDSCN0412
The light wasn't good for shooting those areas but I commented to Bill that a whole community could live inside some of them.
ourworldDSCN0422
I was exaggerating but during our longest hike there were some rocks with protected areas that could shelter a large family during a storm.
ourworldDSCN0433
I'm running out of things to say because I picked way too many pictures to go into this post.
ourworldDSCN0480
The house below nestled in the hills appealed to me.
ourworldDSCN0484
The house below is a view of cone manor that makes it look a lot smaller than it is.
ourworldDSCN0513
There weren't any lilies still blooming on bass lake on the cone estate but lots of lily pads could be seen.
ourworldDSCN0543
One last shot for this long post.
ourworldDSCN0591
Click for the home of Our World Tuesday.

18 comments:

Gillian Olson said...

Great fall colour shots, loved them all.

Penelope Notes said...

What a lovely journey through the stages of autumn, Carver! Of course, the fall colors are always compelling but I especially like the photo of the sun peeking over the hill creating a luminous yellow sky. :)

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic captures as always, Carver, and such a wonderful look at your beautiful world in autumn! I always love the tours you take us on and the colors today are delightful! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Reader Wil said...

You live in a beautiful country, Carver! Very impressive and breathtaking! Thanks for the tour!Have a great and happy week!

Sivinden said...

What a great collection of pictures! Beautiful landscapes!

EG CameraGirl said...

So lovely, Carver. Nice to extend the season my visiting other people's blogs. Many of our reds are now on the ground but we still have some yellows.

Barb said...

I'm enjoying your photos of the NC mountain fall! My mountain fall is over, but I hear that Denver is now having beautiful colors. (LIke you, I may have to make a little trip to extend the season!) We're due for a snow storm here in Breckenridge tomorrow and Wed. The trails you photographed are spectacular tributes to fall.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots from your trip.

Photo Cache said...

your pictures are lovely carver, you really don't have to say anything :)

Al said...

That looks like an incredibly beautiful area, I'd love to visit NC one day. And your extended autumn colors are wonderful, ours is just about done (with a winter storm watch for Tuesday night into Wednesday).

Kay L. Davies said...

Fabulous photos, and I enjoyed going on the walk through Fall with you.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

What a beautiful tour...I love those mountains and streams of NC...thanks so much for sharing...I sure love your blog :)
Queenie

Indrani said...

Superb captures. Fall almost changes the world!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That's just beautiful -- what a great spot for a "second place that feels like home". Your (first) home seems more like here as far as the climate goes -- we are just beginning to have Fall colors. That sky is just gorgeous. A great walk, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fabulous shots. I love autumn colours and never tire of seeing lovely shots of it.

Gattina said...

Wow, what a gorgeous place in our world ! Love the architecture of the house too !

Jackie said...

Really beautiful country and I can understand you wanting to show all your shots, they are gorgeous. I love the house in shot 21, I could live there very happily.

genie said...

I lived in Asheville for almost 20 years so these shots are from some of my old tromping grounds. It is one beautiful area of North Carolina. All of your captures are awesome. So many gorgeous tree and water shots...and those mountains. Know you had a grand visit. genie

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019