Translate

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Nature Notes and Our World Tuesday: more NC mountain shots


There was a large pasture with elk that I photographed before walking on the Oconaluftee River Trail.
natworldDSCN7256
There were signs that said not to go into the pasture and that it was dangerous to approach elk, especially during calving seasons.
natworldDSCN7234
In spite of the signs someone aggravated the elk to the point of one charging.
natworldDSCN7201
A police or ranger with flashing lights came onto the pasture and got between the tourists and the elk.
natworldDSCN7196
The elk went in the other direction and everything calmed down.
natworldDSCN7194
I photographed the whole sequence of events but have so many shots for my combined nature notes and our world post that I'll skip the police with the strobe lights getting between the elk and tourists.
natworldDSCN7173
Many shots are from the car and I particularly like the ones on the back country dirt road in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
natworldDSCN7157
There was a big difference between fall color from higher and lower altitudes.
natworldDSCN7136
I can't think of the name of the next plant I spotted in the forest but I like it.
natworldDSCN7128
I also love furry moss.
natworldDSCN7122
I have gotten used to only posting one or two shots for most of my photographic themes but since I returned from vacation my posts are longer and longer.
natworldDSCN7104
I found it hard to narrow down the photographs I liked the most.
natworldDSCN7095
The conditions were so good for photography.
natworldDSCN7091
A lot of our fall trips to the mountains have at least some rainy weather.
natworldDSCN7076
This year it only rained a little bit one night that we were there.
natworldDSCN6940
There was such a great mix of beautiful skies.
natworldDSCN6863
I think I posted some similar shots for sky watch but not the same shots.
natworldDSCN6860
The only time we saw very many people was at Clingman's Dome but we were early enough to miss the heaviest crowds.
natworldDSCN6848
We timed our trip so our hikes would be on week days when there were less people.
natworldDSCN6805
Also the back country dirt roads we used part of the time were almost completely empty with a few exceptions.
natworldDSCN6801
I took the next shot in the back yard of the motel we stayed at.
natworldDSCN6761
I like the bridge in the next shot.
natworldDSCN6720
I love waterfalls of all sizes and shapes.
natworldDSCN6711
We saw most of the waterfalls on a Sunday afternoon walk a week ago.
natworldDSCN6695
I like the colors in the water below.
natworldDSCN6690
One last shot and I'll stop.
natworldDSCN6668
Click for Nature Notes and here for Our World Tuesday.

21 comments:

Penelope Notes said...

Oh my gosh, I know why you couldn’t pick … there are SO many lovely shots. I particularly like your new header and the waterfall scenes. Also, wonder why someone would want to bother the elk and not just observe them with appreciation from a distance.

DeniseinVA said...

Gorgeous shots Carver, scenery and those magnificent Elk. I have heard a Ranger tell people many times to get back after getting too close. Those animals can run fast and turn on a dime.

Leora said...

What wonderful beauty. Sounds like a marvelous trip. You got some great scenery scenes.

Sylvia K said...

Gorgeous captures indeed, Carver!! And what a wonderful place to visit and spend time! Looks like the very best of vacations!! Thanks for sharing!!

Fun60 said...

Those area great series of photos but I would still liked to have seen the police coming between the tourists and the elks!

sallie (fulltime-Life.com) said...

Oh so beautiful; the elk guy (I forget what the males are called) is majestic - guarding his harem in that first photo.

I'm glad you couldn't narrow things down; loved every picture.

We climbed that ramp on Clingman's Dome on our trip through there a few years ago. Glad we did it then, because even if we are ever lucky enough to go back, we probably couldn't do that 'hike' now.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Great shots of the elk and beautiful photography of the country side ~ love the little bridge and water fall!

Happy Week to you ~

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor

eileeninmd said...

I love the elk, Carver. All these shots bring back memories of our trip there.. Great post, thanks for sharing.. Have a happy new week!

stardust said...

The elk (No.4 image) has an impressive appearance with such magnificent antlers. It’s good not to approach wild animals. I thought of deer in Nara Park. Thank you for sharing such beautiful autumn scenes.

Yoko

Rajesh said...

Beautiful scenes from nature. Wonderful images of elk.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your photos of the forest-lined road through the Smokey Mountains brought me back to 1975 when a friend and I drove down similar roads. That was one of the most amazing parts of our cross-country trip. I still ask myself why I didn't take photos then.

chai-and-chardonnay.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful pictures of what must have been a wonderful day out in the country!

Karin M. said...

These are super nice shots ... a beautiful autumn landscape in great colors ....
Best regards, Karin

NatureFootstep said...

well, I can see why you had a hard time choosing your images. So much beauty to share. :) Loved to see teh deer, we have some but they are impossible to get close to.

Linda said...

Lovely series of photos!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Carver so many beautiful photos...I am drawn to the water shots...gorgeous!

Indrani said...

These are truly wonderful ones.
I scrolled up and down and had a good look. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Beautiful photos, Carver. I'm disturbed that someone agitated the elk. GRRRRRR! What's WRONG with some people??????!!

Rambling Woods said...

I enjoyed the series of fall photos... Beautiful area to visit. I am sorry that people want to bother wildlife like that... Michelle

Fernando Santos (Chana) said...

Excelentes fotografias....
Cumprimentos

Anonymous said...

Wow - amazing shots of the elk and autumn foliage!

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019