Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, August 29, 2011

Our World Tuesday: Stormy


First, thanks to Sandy and Sylvia for hosting Our World Tuesday and for setting up a new site to continue to provide a format for sharing our world. The new badge is courtesy of Gattina. This is the first week of the second generation of That's My World Tuesday which was the original meme that inspired the new one. The original was created by Klaus and was published weekly until his recent passing.

ourworldDSCN7778
Later in this post I will show you a wider view of what I photographed above. I wonder if anyone has a clue what that is before they get to the later shot.
ourworldDSCN7655
Like much of the east coast states, it was stormy where I live (Raleigh, NC) on Friday and Saturday. I took the shot directly above and below on Friday night before the storm moved in.
ourworldDSCN7663
It hadn't started raining yet (I went to bed before that happened) when I took the shot below but it was looking pretty fierce.
ourworldDSCN7636
Hurricane Irene hit the North Carolina coast Saturday morning and fortunately was a Category 1 Hurricane when it reached us which was better than the Category 3 Hurricane they feared.
ourwordwndDSCN7719
The first shot, the shot directly above and the shots below are ones I took on Saturday at my house. The last shot is the only one from Sunday.
ourworldDSCN7733
I live in central NC and didn't have a direct hit from the hurricane. We did have tropical storm winds but they weren't that bad at all considering.
ourworldDSCN7774
Some people in my city lost power but all I had was some flickering on and off but no extended outage so I felt lucky. The shot below is a wider shot of my close-up first shot. No waves where I live since I'm not on the coast but my containers under my gutters were churning up pretty ferociously . The lake and creeks near my house were probably pretty wild but I stayed in so I didn't photograph them.
ourworldDSCN7783
Sunday was a beautiful day after the storm and we walked at Lake Lynn which isn't as prone to flooding as Shelley Lake where I usually walk. I spotted the swan below there.
myworldDSCN7832

Click for the home of Our World Tuesday.
Link

22 comments:

Penelope Notes said...

Your photo of the swan reflects a calm after the storm, Carver. The situation in the east was frightening, especially with all the huge trees surrounding homes to add to the tension. The capture of the water in your container is very telling, indeed. It is a mini version of the rocky storm tossed seas!

lissa said...

great swan shot. he seems prose to have his photo taken.

have a sweet day.

Anonymous said...

I like that pot with water. So glad to hear that Irene's bark was stronger than her bite.

Hope everything is back to normal.

Indrani said...

Is the first shot of reflections of clouds in water?
Great pics.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I am glad you did not suffer lasting effects from Irene! We were on the NC coast this time last year and we are grateful not to be there now. (That will be my post for the new "World".

VioletSky said...

What a relief that Irene was not as damaging as feared (though she still was destructive). Your shot of the gurgling water really shows the force of the winds.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad Irene turned out to be less terrible than expected. Still, she caused a LOT of damage!

Tania said...

I like that pot, I was sure it was a beach. And the swan is beautiful..calm photo after the storm.
Happy week to you!:-)

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze - Goodies for a pleasant life said...

Great shots :)

Snap said...

Wonderful shots that tell the story of Irene. Happy to hear that you are well inland and away from most of the horrible destruction Hurricanes are no fun. I know! The swan photo is gorgeous! So calm.

Cildemer said...

I'm glad Irene didn't cause damage in your area!
Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics. Love the swan;o)

***
Have a nice and happy week****

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, I love your shot of the wind-ruffled surface of the water, Carver. Well done!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Arija said...

It was quite a scare with the hurricane forecast and my daughter was driving straight into it from having taught in New Hampshire. Luckily it was only a force 1 by that time with sheeting rain and high winds. SHe seems to have got through it all right.
Very nice before and after shots and what a cute swan to end up with.

magiceye said...

beautiful series of images!

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous captures, Carver! The storm situation has indeed been frightening! So glad all is well with you! I agree with Penelope, the swan does seem to reflect the calm after the storm. Take care and thanks for joining us for another round of "Our World"!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

So glad the hurricane was less fierce than expected - it looks windy enough. Lovely shots.

Ebie said...

With the leaves swaying, I could feel the gust of wind.

I hope everything is well with you!

Joyful said...

Beautiful photo story.

NatureFootstep said...

glad you made it through the storm without much danger. I like the shots with the storm i the containers. It´s kind of cool.

Jackie said...

I thought that first shot was of water but never guessed it was storm-tossed water in a garden container!
I like the shot of that tall ivy covered tree, and glad it didn't suffer from the storm.

LifeRamblings said...

good thing you didn't suffer too much damage from the hurricane. great stormy pics and the swan looks stunningly beautiful. stay safe and take care.

SandyCarlson said...

So much water! Amazing. I love that swan shot!

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019