Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, August 1, 2011

That's My World Tuesday: Update on the NC Mountains to Sea trail


One of my first That's My World posts (November 4, 2008) was about the North Carolina Mountains to Sea trail.
001myworldmtsIMG_8397
Since writing that post more than 500 miles of foot paths have been completed on that trail. They have been working on them for decades so that's the total number of miles including ones already completed in 2008.
001myworldmntsIMG_8473
With temporary connectors on bike routes and back roads serving until all the hiking sections are finished, it is now possible to hike from the mountains to the sea in North Carolina. Of course that's assuming you can hike 500 miles plus the additional miles on the temporary connectors.
001myworldmntsIMG_8316
After the mountain to sea trail is completed there will be 1,000 miles of hiking paths from Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains to the sand dune, Jockey's Ridge, on the outer banks. Note - on my first post the official site I was using said there would be over 700 miles so clearly the plans have expanded since they now say 1,000 miles. Also, other sites that are done by hikers say 900 miles so it looks like every so often the projected mileage of the completed trail is adjusted.
001myworlmtIMG_1286
My photographs are not from the actual trail except in a few cases where we hiked on part of it.
001myworlmtsIMG_4599
What I have tried to do though is show the parts of the state the trail covers. I have also concentrated more in the mountains on shots from hiking trails rather than views of the mountains.
001mywormtsIMG_4665
The trail begins in the southern part of the NC mountains (great smoky mountains) and goes north into the northern mountains which include part of the Blue Ridge mountains.
001mnywomntIMG_7186
Heading east across the state it includes part of the foothills and then goes towards the NC Piedmont.
001myworldmtsIMG_7293
You will probably notice that the seasons are all mixed up in this post.
001mywormts2IMG_3268
I haven't tried to stick with one season but have pulled from shots across my state through the years and seasons. The little white dots in the shot below are gulls on Falls Lake near where I live in the NC Piedmont and part of the land surrounding that lake includes paths that are part of the mountain to sea trail.
001myworldms2IMG_3276
I also haven't included any city shots since the point of the hiking trail across state is to stick more to the natural areas and places that aren't covered in concrete.
001myworldmts4IMG_3118
The photographs I'm including of wildflowers are heading east from the piedmont. The butterfly on water in with the mountain shots is on a river in the northern NC mountains.
001myworlmts4IMG_3125
I guess I should have done a better job labeling but the first shots are all in the mountains (some southern and some northern part of the NC mountains) until the one where you can see a hill or mountain backdrop (8th shot). That shot is in the foothills. Then the 9th and 10th shots are in the Piedmont.
001myworldIMG_2379
From the Piedmont until it gets to the beach shots, the photos are heading south east as the trail does moving towards the sand hills and then to the coastal plain.
001myworldmts4IMG_3416
Basically after heading north in the mountains the trail goes south east until it ends up on the southern part of the NC coast.
001mywormtsaIMG_2044
Then once it reaches the coast it heads north up the coast line until it ends in the north east part of the coast.
001myworlmtsaIMG_2066
The photographs have basically followed the pattern of the mountains to sea trail for the most part.
001myworldmtsaIMG_2210
In order to end with a shot heading north up the coast line, I am using an old shot of Ocracoke since it's north of Atlantic Beach which is where the other beach shots I'm using are from. The poor quality of the shot below is due to it being taken with my first digital camera. I used a monochrome version of this Ocracoke lighthouse shot for another post which worked a little better. I should also mention that the coastal part of the trail doesn't look like it goes to Atlantic Beach or Ocracoke although I have trouble understanding some of the literature. I'm aiming for regions as opposed to the specific places the trails are, except for a few cases where I have shots taken on hikes that happened to be at places that are part of the mountain to sea trail. The point is this trail crosses the state and I am using regional photographs to get across some of the diversity of the state.
001myworld87090_16
Click for the home of That's My World Friday.

15 comments:

Penelope Notes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penelope Notes said...

I love this post, Carver! What an undertaking it must be to catalogue the changing terrain towards the sea. And what a HUGE undertaking and so environmentally friendly and (IMO) smart and noble to create these wonderful diverse trails through the natural areas in your world. Your seaside captures are hauntingly spectacular and make me want to go there. :)

Indrani said...

I like the variations in the shots, a nice walk through the different seasons.

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a wonderful hike with loads of amazing shots. So lovely.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Loved this and your pictures are great -- as a new reader I appreciate the reruns! -- we've been on both ends of this trail (on two different trips). I didn't know that the trail existed -- what a wonderful idea (wish we were still able to hike it). NC had some of the most beautiful coastal scenery we've ever seen (and we have been on a lot of coasts).... we were there last summer.

And of course the view from the top of Clingman's Dome -- and the whole park area was wonderful (that was the earlier trip).

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots, very scenic. Every season is great.

Photo Cache said...

that is a wonderful trail to follow. I wonder how long a hike this would take.

there is something similar here. it is from the redwoods of muir woods and ends up on the beach, i think it's stinson beach. if i am not mistaken that covers 26 miles. maybe someday, i'd take that hike.

Sylvia K said...

What a terrific post for the day, Carver! And your photos are breathtaking! What an incredible place to hike. The shots of the beach are superb! I would love to spend some time there! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

B i r g i t t a said...

Wow wow wow! Love the landscape and the colours and everything in your photos Carver :)

Al said...

Wow, that's a set of trails I'd love to hike, although I wouldn't be up for that many miles. Great shots, they really gives a good feeling for the beauty of the state, one which I've not yet visited.

Barb said...

What a wonderful hiking trail! It would be so spectacular to hike from Mountains to the sea. Great photos, Carver.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful post, Carver. What a beautiful state you live in. I agree with my friend "aka Penelope" about the seaside, it is spectacular. It's completely unlike the west coast of Canada she and I are used to, so don't be surprised to find the two of us knocking on your door some day. LOL
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Arija said...

A wonderfully comprehensive post with stunning landscapes and trails, nature shots and the sea. Really a labour of love to put this most informative post together. This long trail is so inviting I would love to cover at least part of it. Thank you.

Nicole said...

OK, I'm simply officially envious!
Especially of the forest :D
Love this glimpse into your world!

ksdoolittle said...

Another little piece of heaven!!

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019