Translate

Blog Archive

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Our World Tuesday: Mixture from three walks

I had to laugh when I saw a Canada Goose running with the boys.
ourwortgDSCN5832
When a cyclist came up behind them the goose flew away.
ourwortgDSCN5834
In the bottom of the next shot you may be able to barely make out a great blue heron flying low over the water.
ourworbhDSCN5820b
In the next shot it's a little easier to see him.
ourworltdbhDSCN5821b
I didn't have time to zoom in until he landed.
ourworthDSCN5824
 There was a little blue sky on Sunday but we never got the sunny weekend that was forecast.
ourwotDSCN5835
Still pleasant having cooler temperatures and most of the rain over the past 4 or 5 days has been late afternoon and night.
ourwotgDSCN5848
I was surprised to see a bunch of new babies at the lake.
ourwortcDSCN5720
There were early babies this year after a mild winter which made it especially surprising to see late ones so close to fall.
ourwortcDSCN5733
I've photographed the fellow below many times as he prowls at Sertoma Art Center up a hill from Shelley Lake.
ourwortdDSCN5783
On one of my walks I followed a creek that feeds into the lake.
ourwortcDSCN5627
I like the side trails off the paved ones.
ourwortcDSCN5657
I always look for reflections in the water.
ourwotrDSCN5619
I had hoped they wouldn't mow the grasses on the dam.
ourwortDSCN5405
A couple of days after I took the shot above they were mowed as you can see in the shot below.
ourwtgDSCN5870
There are sections here and there where the geese can forage for seeds that aren't moved by the city employees.
ourwotgDSCN5456
I caught a glimpse of one of the great blue heron peering out through the foliage.
ourworthDSCN5709
In the next shot I could only see its lower body.
 ourworthDSCN5713
The mallards were swimming in a free form line.
ourwortmDSCN5693
The ducks below were following the leader.
ourwortdDSCN5699
With all the rain we've had toadstools abound.
ourwotsDSCN5467
I always love to see mist rising up at a distance.
ourwotmDSCN5498
Below the toadstool looks like a dinner plate to me.
ourwotmDSCN5464
The sun was trying to break through below but was fighting a losing battle.
ourwotmDSCN5497
It amuses me the way the mallards crowded together on the log.
ourwodDSCN5561
The ducks on the next log were more evenly spaced.
ourwortdDSCN5715
Below is another shot of the sun trying to break out on another day.
ourworsDSCN5514
The pair of mallards below were fishing and spent a lot of time with their heads under water.
ourwomDSCN5487
I like the shape created in the water below.
ourwortsDSCN5413
The duck in the next shot has an interesting feature on top of its head created by the darker feathers.
ourwodDSCN5550

21 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

These are beautiful walks. You do such a great job capturing birds. The heron photos are my favorites. Always make me think of Dylan Thomas's "heron priested shores." Such a splendig place.

Whispering Thoughts said...

I just loved your shots. Any tips on how you picture those birds.

Indrani said...

Great series. Each demanding lot of attention.

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photographs, fantastic places, magic views. I am greeting

Penelope Postcards said...

Oh, those toadstools are a nice surprise! I wonder if they are the edible kind. Such lovely places to go for a walk in your world, Carver, and every day is different. I, too, like the gray mist on the horizon and how things look when the light struggles to come through. Thanks as always for sharing your world. :)

Cezar and Léia said...

wow that first picture is a treasure!Congrats!
You show us today wonderful images!
hugs and a nice week
Léia

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely series of photos Carver, always enjoy them. The bird life ones are a nice follow through. Thought the one on the bridge with the boys was so cute.

Maude Lynn said...

Superb shots!

Unknown said...

Great series!! Love the goose and the boys running. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful series, Carver, as always! I do love the goose and the boys!! How fun! Such great places to walk and enjoy the beauty!! Thanks for sharing it with us!! Have a beautiful week!

EG CameraGirl said...

I wonder if the late babies mean we're in for another mild winter. Funny that the goose wanted to run with the kids.

I like your photos of the great blue heron.

Adam Jones said...

Great photos. Some lovely birds there.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful post and photos, Carver. Looks like a great day and walk. I love the shot of the goose walking with the boys. Great captures. Have a wonderful week!

Barb said...

Glad the weekend was dry enough for some photos! I love the shot where the sun is trying to peek through - both sky and reflection are awesome. That creek trail looks very scenic.

Fun60 said...

I loved the photo of the goose running with the boys.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

An amazing walk and a beautiful world you live in! That heron reflection in the one flying photo is really lovely (I never get good flying shots).... The geese and grebes here are on their second litters (wait, that's not the right word at all, but you know what I mean!).....

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a fabulous series of shots. Love the goose running with the boys and the heron skimming the water.

Lara said...

in spring we also have by the lake a huge colony of ducks and geese. they are absolutely lovely creatures and it's so funny to see how the manage the "kindergarten" :))

Anna said...

I have enjoyed your (our) World... love it Carver!
Greetings from Holland,
Anna :))

Rambling Woods said...

You see so much diversity on your walks..amazing..

JOTA ENE ✔ said...

Beautiful photos !!!

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019