Translate

Blog Archive

Thursday, February 20, 2014

SkyWatch Friday: Mixed skies over past 6 days

I had to laugh while I was preparing this post because I glanced out the window and there was a glorious sunset.
skywatchDSCN5068
I had already picked out the shots I wanted to use but I grabbed my camera and photographed the sunset to use for next week's post.
skywatchDSCN5086
The male and female cardinals above popped out against the white sky and tree. I used similar shots of the cardinals on other posts but I took a bunch of different photographs because they posted for me.
skywatchDSCN5101
The shots above were taken last Thursday and the shot below was taken on the next day, Friday.
skywatchDSCN5314
Most of the roads were clear but my driveway shown above and below was appropriate for ice skating because of the refreezing. I was working from home so I didn't need to go anywhere.
skywatchDSCN5322
My front walk below was waiting to melt because I had no intention of shoveling it, especially since the weather this week was going to turn towards spring.
skywatchDSCN5342
 I went on a walk and the puddle below refroze later but was beautiful with the reflection.
skywatchDSCN5390
The next day (Saturday) was rainy in the morning but the sun came out in the afternoon and we had lovely blue with clouds.
skywatchDSCN5665
 Even with rain there were plenty of spots that were still icy.
skywatchDSCN5753
 I walked in my neighborhood enjoying the sun coming out before it went down.
skywatchDSCN5800
Sunday, anything in the shade was still snowy but it was totally different out in the sun.
skywatchDSCN5843
After we got out of the shade, it looked like spring. 
skywatchDSCN5874
It won't be long before the lake is noisy with new babies.
skywatchDSCN5886
 We had a very soft sky on Monday morning.
skywatchDSCN5938
I love blue sky with clouds.
skywatchDSCN5981
 I walked around the park near my house.
skywatchDSCN6038
 Below is a covered heated year round pool but the separate diving pool behind it is closed until summer. The large pool has a diving end so divers can practice in the winter but they don't have a separate pool until summer.
skywatchDSCN6042
I could have picked any one day for a sky watching post.
skywatchDSCN6061
This week I couldn't decide on a day which is why it's mixed.
skywatchDSCN6112
The Japanese Magnolia always shows its buds early but some years the flowers die if the temperatures dip too low when they are opening so I hold my breath until April.
skywatchDSCN6122
The sunset on Monday was fantastic.
skywatchDSCN6126
 For about an hour the sky changed ever minute or so.
skywatchDSCN6154
 I took close to a hundred shots of the sky at sunset.
skywatchDSCN6160
 Don't worry, I'm not going to post all of them.
skywatchDSCN6164
I'm picking a sampling of nature painting the sky to end my day on a good note.
skywatchDSCN6174
 On Tuesday the sky totally bowled me over.
skywatchDSCN6214
 I almost gasped out loud when I looked up.
skywatchDSCN6220
I think it looks like someone was up their throwing filmy fabrics about.
skywatchDSCN6223
 I like the tin roof one of my neighbors put on their house. I'd like a tin roof but besides the expense, it wouldn't fit my one story brick house as well as it does the one below.
skywatchDSCN6226
 The ice storm we had on Thursday after the snow on Wednesday brought down some trees and the workmen were out this week cleaning up.
skywatchDSCN6234
 The street above is around the corner from me and there were a couple of houses with tarps on the roof and some major damage.
skywatchDSCN6247

21 comments:

Ercotravels said...

Very pretty and cool photos!! Nice captures..
Have a very nice day..

aspiritofsimplicity said...

splendid images. I especially love the shots with the cardinals.

EG CameraGirl said...

The cardinals are special! It really looks to me like spring is on it's way to North Carolina. Love seeing those buds!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Carver,
These are wonderful pictures, you are so right, the sunset is really magnificent and you got amazing angles and shots!
So nice to see the lovely birds. The snow and the blue sky are an amazing combination!
hugs
Léia

Fernando Santos (Chana) said...

Excelentes fotografias....
Cumprimentos

Photo Cache said...

Love the cardinals shots, always have.

You really did experience winter this year. I presume that you don't get snowed regularly during winter?

HansHB said...

A beautiful post. So much to study closer!
Happy SWF to you!

Hootin Anni said...

The sky...so blue after the storms...the snow, so white and pretty!!! I really must say I like the reflection of the sky/trees in the street puddle!! [the photo with the jeep/stop sign]

Jim said...

Great skies

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! What incredible varied sky shots and most intriquing photo post ~ Wonderful! for SWF ~ thanks,

artmusedog and carol
www.acreativeharbor.com

Rajesh said...

Wonderful winter shots.

lina@women tips said...

Wonderful varieties. Enjoying them all, especially the pic with the cardinals.

Kusum said...

Beautiful pictures!

Mike said...

Wow! So many amazing sky shots. Cool, crisp, wonderful sky! Great colors in the sunset, too.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Well you get the award for the most diverse set of photos. We have had a bewildering winter careening between 70 deg sunny days and ice storms and close to zero temps.

Indrani said...

It always amazes me the variety you capture! Looking forward to your sunset pics.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such an amazing, diverse collection of photos. Love the snowy tangle of branches and the cardinal colours mixed in.

Anonymous said...

So many amazing and lovely sky shots!

Laura said...

What a beautiful series Carver… I love the puddle reflections and all the sunsets… o and the cardinals… all such wonderful photos. It is raining here and our lovely icicles are melting away.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love the way you show this 'cusp' season as the weather changes (or at least I hope it continues to warm up and doesn't regress back to winter.

Kept going back to that puddle reflection picture...really beautiful and shows what a great eye you have. Some people would just pass by a puddle without looking down into it.

Light and Voices said...

Very nice series of photographs.
JM Illinois

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019