Translate

Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Nature Notes and Our World Tuesday: Where are my boot prints

We didn't get much snow before it changed to sleet and freezing rain so it doesn't look like much but it's a hard frozen crust.

natworldDSCN0272

The shot above shows where I walked without leaving a boot print and below shows where I finally did sink down.

natworldDSCN0273

If anyone has driven up my road yet they haven't left tracks.

natworldDSCN0309

This is the type of situation that is hard because it doesn't look like much but it's frozen solid.

natworldDSCN0319

I only feed the birds in bad weather because I have so much naturally grown food in my overgrown yard. Above is a female rufous sided towhee and below a titmouse. 

natworldDSCN0342

Instead of getting my old bird feeders out of my storage room, I used my deck wall as a feeding station and put out a few tins of dry food. Below is a male rufous sided towhee.

natworldDSCN0357

Since the birds live in my overgrown yard and come to my deck for fresh water, they immediately find the food I put out for them when it's extra cold, snowy or icy.

natworldDSCN0367

Above is a male cardinal and below is a junco.

natworldDSCN0385

Click here for nature notes and here for our world Tuesday.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

This snow and ice needs to go! I am ready for spring and to hear the birds singing again.. I've been seeing a Towhee lately too, they are cool birds. Stay warm and safe, have a happy day!

Penelope Postcards said...

Even in their downy feathers, the little birds must feel the cold and be very grateful to find food and water in your welcoming deck and yard. :)

Rajesh said...

Wonderful winter shots. Love those birds.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely wintry shots and gorgeous bird photos ~ you must have a wonderful back yard for the animals and birds!

Thanks for your comforting words ~ It has been a rough winter ~

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Maude Lynn said...

We just had much of the same kind of weather. Can't wait for spring!

Photo Cache said...

The squirrel is too cute. For us we've been having so much of a good thing. April weather in February.

Rambling Woods said...

The freezing rain is worse than the snow and we have had both. Be careful and thank you for taking such good care of the birds...Michelle

Laura said...

stay safe… freezing rain can really be dangerous… I ;love your birdie visitors!

Barb said...

Ice and packed snow is not fun. Hope it warms for you and the birds, soon.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Be careful out there; I'm sure that frozen ice under snow would be a recipe for disaster for me; I'd probably fall on my keister or worse.

I love the bird feeding station. My daughter feeds birds by scattering seed. She does not have time to wash feeders. It seems to work for her and for her birds.

WE said...

Its tough to manage this snow. Good that you are feeding the birds during this time.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

No doubt the birds are very grateful to you. That rufus towhee bird looks like his name ought to be Rufus. :-)
Take 25 to Hollister

Leora said...

I enjoy your birds. So glad you feed them so nicely.

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful birds, you take good care of them and then they pose nicely for a photo.

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. But it's no fun out on the ice!

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019