Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, September 13, 2010

That's My World Tuesday: Museum Park Walk

On the U.S. labor day which was a week ago Monday, Bill and I went on a walk at the Museum Park surrounding the NC Museum of Art.
Myworld NCMAblueher
I was startled when a Great Blue Heron flew up and away from the small pond.
myworld NCMApond
You can read about the pond renovation at this Museum Blog Post if you are interested. I'll go ahead and briefly paraphrase from that blog.
Myworld NCMApondgee
The first phase of the renovation has been completed and has a swale to channel run-off water from the new building and landscape in a controlled way through boulder and grassy areas. The second phase will involve retention of storm water run off . . .
myworld new building
The shot above includes a portion of the new building and the Museum Website has a lot of information about the museum expansion.
MYworldNCMAgyrpeo
The photograph above and below are of the Gyre which is in the museum park.
myworldNCMAgyoverl
The Museum Park Website has information about much of the art in the park.
MyWorld NCMAwoodlnd
One of my favorite parts of the Museum Park is the woodland trail. The photograph above shows the path leading to the "Cloud Chamber for the trees and Sky". Below is a closer view of the chamber.
myworld NCMAcldtrc
Back out on the sunny part of the trail is the Wind Machine which I always enjoy.
MyworldNCMAwhirlg
To visit other parts of the world, please go to the home page for That's My world Tuesday.

25 comments:

KaHolly said...

Wow, looks like a very interesting place. That cloud chamber is a curious thing. Any more information regarding that? Great pictures all the way through, but I should have known by the way you were able to get a quick shot of that fleeing heron!! Usually by the time it registers in my brain to get a picture, they are long gone!! Well done. ~karen

Carver said...

Thanks for visiting. To answer about the chamber for trees and clouds "This shelter operates as an oversized camera obscura or a pinhole camera. A small aperture in the roof projects an inverted image of the sky onto the floor of the chamber, an effect that seems to pull the sky down to the viewer. Inside, one’s perspective is turned upside down. Instead of looking up at the sky, trees, or clouds, one looks down on them from above."

Daryl said...

Wonderful place, reminds me of Storm King Art Center here

Xavi said...

Great captures and beautiful place!!
Have a nice day!

Cezar and Léia said...

Seems to be a truly pleasant place! Thanks for sharing!
God bless you!
Cezar

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots of the museum park. The structures are beautiful.

Sylvia K said...

What a beautiful place, Carver! Love your photos as always! Such wonderful shadows and reflections! What a delightful place to spend a day! Enjoy your week!

Sylvia

Carol said...

Wonderful shots of the museum park! I would love to visit there in person; I'm going to check out the website, since my daughter lives in raleigh, I might get to see it sometime. Love the art in the park...

Noel Morata said...

aloha carver,

these are so beautiful scenes, i love all the artwork in the outdoors, i'm intrigued by the chamber...whats inside?


my tuesday tour of a hike to the lava on my sari blog.

EG CameraGirl said...

I absolutely LOVE the wind machine. :) What's the cloud chamber all about? This park looks like a great place to visit! O! - I see you already answered about the cloud chamber. Very cool!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, being inside that cloud chamber must be an amazing experience.
A beautiful area, and I love what they're doing about the water.

Kay
Alberta, Canada

Ebie said...

I love the art work/sculpture in the Park. Lots of greenery, beautiful trees.

Anonymous said...

you have good places to choose from for a good walk/photo session.

have a lovely week.

lissa said...

"Cloud Chamber for the trees and Sky" - those sounds like wonderful words - like some cozy little home to watch the sky or to enjoy any view

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

So beautiful,love all of it,please visit my new ph0toblog,i w0uld love to see y0u there

Coffeeveggie addict. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Indrani said...

So many interesting shots of the place, gives a fairly good idea about it.

Unknown said...

It looks like a facinating and different place to visit. I love the cloud chamber!

SandyCarlson said...

That is a wonderful sequence. Thanks for the added info on the cloud chamber, too.

Mojo said...

They've really expanded the place a lot I see. Despite the fact that it's practically n my back yard, I haven't been there since the renovations started.

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

The trail is lovely, peaceful place for a hike.

Arija said...

My favourite also would be the woodland trail but I also enjoyed the strangely Parisian feel of the stature and avenue of trees around the walls and the flying heron was a real thrill to see.

Julie said...

The image of the Blue Crane in flight stirs the heart and quickens the pulse. Magnificent.

BraCom (Bram) said...

Thank you for sharing these great captures and beautiful places!

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My Word Tuesday post

Seen on My World Tuesday

Kero said...

ahahaha! you are a funny woman carver! I love most the third shot!

hope you can come visit my entry here http://kcelebration.blogspot.com/2010/09/interior-of-vatican-museum.html

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019