Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, September 6, 2010

That's My World Tuesday: North Hills and Alleghany trails

I have posted about the Greenway trail system in my town before but since it's grown somewhat since the last time I posted about it, I thought I'd update the information with this post.

myworld alghtrrckfc
The trails connect many of Raleigh, NC's parks and at this point includes 63 miles of trails in the 3,000 acre system.
myworld moredirtpthtr
The greenway system began in 1974 when the city grew concerned with rapid growth and urbanization.
myworld rootstrailalg
Having seen relentless growth in this area it's easy for me to think, at times, that the city hasn't considered the issues enough but in terms of the Capital Area Greenway System, they did get something right.
myworld firstbridgeal
Most of the trails are paved but there are shorter dirt path that branch off of a lot of the paved trails.
myworld woodtreetrla
From where I start on this walk which I like to do from time to time, I walk on part of the paved North Hills trail until I reach the branch where I can choose the Crabtree Valley trail or the Alleghany trail. These shots were taken Saturday morning.
myworld anbridaltr
I frequently choose the Alleghany trail because that includes a dirt trail.
myworld redbridgealg
I have to cross over a number of bridges and eventually get to the dirt part.
myworld dirpthmoretree
The dirt part is nice because there are generally very few people choosing that route.
myworld altrailcrk
It's possible to pretend I'm in the forest, far away from town when I'm actually heading towards the middle of town.
myworld morerkaltr
I like the fact that it's possible to cover a lot of territory on these city trails without coming out into the neighborhoods or shopping areas very often.
myworld algtrlforecrk
Since there are miles of trails which never leave the woods, for most of my walks I never leave the greenway system. Usually if I do leave it's only a matter of crossing a street to pick up the next trail.
myworld morebridgalgtr
I am enjoying the green which is still the major color and the somewhat cooler mornings we are having.
myworld morebrigaltrdr
If I went up the stairs below, I would be able to walk a short distance in the neighborhood and reach the Lassiter Mill falls. However, I turned around and headed back because I knew I had over two miles to get to where I started. At this point in my life I usually park at the Lassiter Mill park if I want to go there.
myworld stepsalghtr
To visit other parts of the world, please go to the home of That's my World Tuesday.

21 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a gorgeous place to be able to walk and enjoy a world very much as it has always been! So green still, too! Wonderful! I would love to walk there! Hope you've had a great holiday weekend, Carver! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow so many wonderful charming bridges and paths in this post!!!!
I imagine how peaceful is walking there, listening the birds, the wind and your heart, it is a blessing!
Also I like a lot the texture in the stone ( first shot)
hugs
Léia

LadyFi said...

What a lovely walk! So peaceful.

Squirrel said...

These trails remind my of my visit to NC a couple years back in search of waterfalls. Wonderful photos!

Penelope Notes said...

These forest photos near where you live remind me of my nearby places. It is such a pleasure to have wooded pathways and charming bridges surprisingly close to the conveniences of modern life. Thanks for sharing your journey! :)

Kay L. Davies said...

If you hadn't mentioned being in the city, I would never have imagined it was anywhere near this delightful woodland. Someone has done a great job of maintaining a country feeling, and you have done a great job of photographing it. Thanks a lot, Carver!
Kay
Alberta, Canada

DeniseinVA said...

Such a lovely walk, and such pretty scenery. All your photos were great.
An English Girl Rambles

Tes said...

Lovely trails, Carver. I would love to explore such wonderful places. So green and lush. So refreshing and calming. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

It's wonderful when a city recognizes it needs to save some spaces from development!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Carver for the terrific walk with you! I loved it! I can understand that this is a way to escape the noisy and busy town. Have a great week!

SandyCarlson said...

That's a beautiful trail system. I really love the shot of the roots emerging through the path like the veins on the back of a far-reaching hand. Thank goodness this area was saved from "development."

Barbara said...

That's wonderful to have an area like this in the city, good for the birds and wildlife and for people to get some exercise too!

Jossie said...

It looks like a forest but are they only green trails criss crossing the city? It looks beautiful and very special.

ksdoolittle said...

Wow, you would never know you were in the city! These are delightful shots of a wonderful walk through the forest and over the bridges. Thanks for taking us along! Glad you have a place like this to retreat to. ~karen

Indrani said...

Looks like some deep jungle, amazing trip, it felt like I was cutting across the thick growth and branches and going deeper and deeper.

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots of such a beautiful place. Very good job of maintaining a green zone on such a vast area.

Larry D said...

An amazing place for walking! Great photos!

Marites said...

looks like a place to be for a nice walk. I like the bridge photos. have a good week!

Lew said...

Great trails! I'm glad the city leaders had the foresight to put these in place and keep them up. We have a lot of Parkland around the DC area and they have trails. Only a few connect through business and residental neighborhoods.

BraCom (Bram) said...

Thank you for sharing thes beautiful nature photos

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My Word Tuesday post

Seen on My World Tuesday

Mojo said...

I remember when Lassiter Falls wasn't even a park in any proper sense of the word. Just a memory of a mill that used to be there. But any more you'd really have to sneak up on it to get there without passing through the burbs... or a schoolyard.

Nice collection!

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019