Translate

Blog Archive

Monday, November 1, 2010

That's My World Tuesday: Recent road trip to NC mountains

As I've mentioned on other My World posts, I live in central North Carolina which is an easy drive to the mountains west of me or to the coast east of me.
myworld foothillsvwmnt
Last week we went to the northwestern North Carolina mountains. The shot above was when we reached the foothills and the mountains were on the horizon.
myworld climntcolr
As we started to climb the mountains we were rewarded with a blaze of color.
myworld cannonappls
The apples above were in the Blowing Rock Cannon memorial garden . I've noticed that on other autumn trips. The apple trees hang over the water and a bunch of apples end up in the water.
myworld drrnyelcl
The next day began with fog and rain but was still nice for driving around and cleared enough for walking later in the day.
myworld ornglevdr
I took the shot below standing up on the hill where the Moses Cone Manor House (Blowing Rock, NC) is looking down at Bass Lake.
myworld basslkcn
The next shot is after we walked down to the lake.
myworldbasslk
I managed to get a bunch of shots of the geese flying towards the lake in large groups.
myworld geesebslk
The next two shots are ones I took when we drove over to Valle Crusis a small community near Boone, NC.
myworld vallecrfrm
It's hard not to get part of the dash reflected in shots through the windshield but I like the one below ok in spite of the flash. I wasn't in the car when I took the shot above which tends to work better.
myworld drvvalcr
The next day we went on a very foggy walk at the lower part of the Moses Cone Memorial Park, sticking to the trail around Bass Lake and a short part of the trail towards the apple barn.
myworldmorednsgf
I love the fog but I wouldn't want to go on a very adventurous hike in it.
myworlddnsfogtr
The last shot is one I took was when Bill didn't realize I had stopped to rest and I caught a shot of him trudging on without me. He noticed I was lagging behind and stopped before he got out of sight.
myworld billtrlc
To visit other parts of the world, click for the home of That's My World Tuesday.

18 comments:

Johnny Nutcase said...

wow, gorgeous fall photos. Really beautiful. Makes me miss living in Western NC, that's for sure. I was wanting to get there this fall but gonna have to wait until next year. The colors are so great! Love the post!

Anonymous said...

Oh my that's the kind of road trip I love - with generous sprinkling of leaf peeping.

Carver I do get reflections on my drive bys too. I found that on the editing software, if you use the "clarify" button just a tad, the reflection would disappear. This is only for minor cases of reflections, which you have on some of the images.

Randi said...

Thank you Carver, for taking me on these lovely tours.
The sceneries are amazing and the colours are beautiful. I agree - I hate foggy walks in the alps too. It makes me feel very insecure. I´m glad that Bill waited for you..."smile".
Have a nice week!

Daryl said...

I am especially taken with the leaves in the stream ...

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots, very scenic. Lovely colors of autumn.

Sylvia K said...

Absolutely breathtaking captures, Carver, and what a great road trip! I do love all the glorious fall colors! Even the foggy shots are beautiful, mysterious, wonderful! Have a great week and thanks for sharing the beauty!

Sylvia

Carolyn Ford said...

Now this is fall! Wow, I love it! The apples in the water make for a gorgeous photo...I LOVE the last photo. I'd love to be walking among all those leaves. Happy fall season to you, Carver!

EG CameraGirl said...

I think autumn is such a wonderful time to travel. Your photos are wonderful!

Penelope Notes said...

Your autumn photos show so clearly why autumn is incredibly magical, Carver. It's my favorite time of year!

Gwendolyn L said...

A beautiful year for fall colors. I enjoyed looking at your world. Thanks for sharing.

Kay L. Davies said...

So beautiful, Carver. I agree with you about the shot through the windshield. It has a feeling of movement about it (for probably obvious reasons)!! And I love the blaze of color, but most of all I love the apples in the water. I can just imagine this year's young bears bobbing for apples while their mothers watch!
-- Kay

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

maryt/theteach said...

Carver, your world is stunning! :)

Barbara said...

So many lovely photos of the fall colours from your trip, I love to see the different colours at this time of the year, but I don't like the winter that follows.

genie said...

These beautiful shots are making me VERY homesick for my Asheville. I think I am used to the Blue Ridge here in VA until I see NC. Will make the trip over Thanksgiving. The shot with the petals on the water is so pretty and romantic as it the one of the fog. It looks like you hit the perfect time for great colour.

Indrani said...

It is a riot of colors there, great shots all.

Arija said...

Such wonderful mountain scenery. I love the contrasts of glorious colour and gentle foggy landscapes. What a splendid place to have close enough to just drop everything and get away for a few days.

With us it is a minimum of 700km minimum before you get to anywhere worth going.

Hope you show us more mountain scenery soon.

Hugs . . . Arija

KaHolly said...

Just lovely. It was almost as good as being there!! Thanks so much for sharing your roadtrip.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Hi Carver,

My homing pigeon is missing, so he went to Canada and lost? LOL

I have lots of pigeons that come to my garden.

Labels

Add to Technorati Favorites
Photographs on this site are by Carver © 2006 - 2019